Tuesday, December 28, 2010

"Beantown Cubans" in Cuba

I want to thank the folks at ACCESO, a Boston-based nonprofit group that brings humanitarian aide to Cuba, for delivering a batch of my novels to two libraries there including the Jose Marti National library in Havana. ACCESO stands for Americans and Cubans Building Community through Exchange, Support and Outreach.
Each year, ACCESO members bring medical supplies, vitamins and books to Cuba. Since 2001, they've donated thousands of books, fiction and non-fiction as well as books written in Braille.
The co-chairs of the group include Jarrett T. Barrios, president of GLAAD and a former Massachusetts senator, and Oswald "Oz" Med, of Partners Continuing Care here in Boston. Both Jarrett and Oz are fellow Beantown Cubans who warmly reached out to me when I first moved to Boston and welcomed this cubanito to the city by introducing me to their friends and contacts.
They were also the ones who told me about El Oriental de Cuba restaurant in Jamaica Plain which became the setting for my third novel and a place where I bring my friends and loved ones whenever they visit.

(photo above from ACCESO website)
(photo of Jarrett from glaad website)

No comments:

Post a Comment