Saturday, June 8, 2019

Another charming read by Robin Reardon

On ChocoruaOn Chocorua by Robin Reardon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

In "On Chocorua,'' Robin Reardon introduces us to Nathan, a sweet, good guy about to start college at the University of New Hampshire.
Reardon takes us on his journey of self-discovery as he forms new friendships on campus, experiences his first gay sexual experience and perhaps love, and endures a major loss that will affect that rest of his life.
Along the way, we meet his family - supportive Gram, adventurous and responsible older brother Neil and sister Nina, also college students.The book is basically a year in Nathan's life and the lessons he learns.
Just as she has done in her previous books, Reardon deftly captures the inner voice of a young guy. Nathan made me reflect back on my own early college years.
This isn't a fast read. Expect to settle in with Nathan, his loyal roommate El Speed, coworker and crush Daniel and love interest Aldean as they navigate the ups and downs of college life and different kinds of addictions.
The mix of supporting characters and how they flowed in and out of the story kept me engaged. They popped in and out to guide (or at one point misguide) Nathan.
I've never been to Chocorua in New Hampshire but Reardon transported me there with her detailed descriptions of the summit especially during a life-threatening situation.
This is the first of her trail blazer series and I look forward to following Nathan's journey in college.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment