Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Private Florida Keys island for sale and it's not Kokomo

The story began with a sign. The other weekend, I was down in Islamorada, one of my favorite places in South Florida. I wanted to feel the warm tropical cross breezes of the Atlantic and Gulf. I also wanted to see the aquatic canvas of various blues. I just wanted a quick get away from the hustle and bustle of Miami to relax, read and ride my bike.

As I explored Islamorada on the bike, I came across a sign. It literally stopped me in my tracks: ISLAND FOR SALE

A closer look revealed the price tag: $17,000,000.  Whaaaat? 
I strolled over to the entrance where a blue-and-white painted gate simply greets visitors (or trespassers) with Terra's Key. I snapped some photos and kept thinking about the island and how it's hidden from the road.
From the neighboring Amara Cay Resort, I noticed in the distance how the palm trees ribbon the rear of the island. A narrow road connects the island to the Overseas Highway and the rest of the Florida Keys.
Curiosity got the best of me. Back at work, I called the realtor and a Florida Keys historian. I then found myself writing this fun story for my paper the South Florida Sun Sentinel about the island and its storied past.

The island began as a farming community in the early 1800s. It's named Terra's Key after the current owner James Terra who bought it in 1991 for $3.1 million.

(I shot the above photos with my iPhone. The photo below of the island was courtesy of Patti Stanley,  the broker associate who represents the owner.)










1 comment:

  1. Hi Johnny! Found your blog. Read it back to 2008. Most enjoyable. It suggests the plot line for your next novel. "Juanito, reporter in South Florida, is so burned by affairs of the heart that he ceases to hope for a man in his life. While cycling on Islamorada he meets Rosca, with eyes green as the hills of his native Costa Rica. Juanito's orchid suddenly buds and blossoms again. Is it a sign etc. etc." Gay lit is soooo predictable. Roderick

    ReplyDelete